Today I Kissed an Angel

Today I kissed an angel
I knew it from the start
the first time my angel smiled at me
I gave away my heart

today I kissed an angel
this angel child of mine
though not of my creation
my child by God's design

today I kissed an angel
my heart is dancing wild
a family, by a miracle
blessed by this angel child

Author Unknown

January 9, 2010

One good deed

With the beginning of a new year I started thinking...do I want to attempt to make a resolution? Inevitably one that I probably won't keep. I thought about the usual resolutions. To be more organized, to lose weight, to keep my house clean. I knew that I would not keep any of these. I really want to be more organized, I do, but I have a wonderful 2 year old who helps me give up on that goal quickly. He can unorganized things twice as fast as I can organize them. Then the fall back lose weight resolution...almost all of us could benefit from that, but I knew this year that just isn't in the cards for me.

I had pretty much decided that I was going to resolve not to set a New Years resolution this year. Then a few nights ago I spent an evening out with my sweet boy and my dear husband celebrating the day our family became a forever family. After spending some time at the temple grounds together we went to IHOP for dinner. The same IHOP that Roman and I visited a few months ago and had a humbling experience. As I sat there eating dinner with my family I thought about the one nice thing or if you will the one good deed I did that day that really changed my outlook that day. I decided then and there on a New Years resolution. I decided to do one good deed a day. I got a little worried though. There are so many days I don't even leave the house. At that time the words to the song "have I done any good in the world today" came into my mind.

Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone’s burden been lighter today
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?

I realized I don't need to leave the house to do something nice. One day I sent a few friends emails or messages just telling them how they inspire me. yesterday as I was in my car I decided to let's cars in front of me, and I was just trying to be a more curtious driver. Did I make a difference in the world by letting another driver go in front of me? Probably not. Did I make a difference in my life? I hope so.

0 comments: