If you had told me one year ago today how my life would be today...I wouldn't have believed you!
There are some years in our lives that are more eventful, and some that are less. Some that are filled with happy memories, and some that we would rather forget. And some that are filled with the unexpected. A little good, a little bad, but overall, completely unexpected!
Last Sunday Roman turned 3. I still can't believe my baby is 3! Three years since our sweet little redhead came into our life and changed it FOREVER! Thursday was equally important, that was the day three years ago that Roman "officially" joined our family. I don't know that my heart has ever been as full as it was that day (and I know we didn't fully understand how much a part of our family not only Roman would become, but Katie also.)
One year ago today we were packing our bags getting ready to go on another adventure, we thought that we were going to adopt a second child. I now think we were going to love a family that needed a little extra love at a special time in their life. I know that it was not the plan for our family.
When we came home last year I felt very defeated. I threw myself into raising the one child that I had and started to wonder if that was it for us. It was such a sad thought. I never wanted him to be an only child, but I felt like this was something that was completely out of our control (and it was.)
Roman's birthmom (Katie) was one of the biggest supports that we had. Rather then us supporting her, she was supporting us. I think that's the sign of a true friendship. You are there for each other no matter what. We hurt, and she understood. She made me the sweetest book with all of our original e-mails. I cried. I loved reading about getting to know her, her getting to know us. It was amazing to remember welcoming this person who could potentially change our lives forever into our life and into our family. I am so thankful that we did! She will FOREVER be a part of our family.
I think that we were really just getting ready for the roller coaster ride that we were all about to take over the next 12 months, and I also glad we could take the ride together.
Honestly, if someone had told me one year ago today that I would be sitting here 37 weeks pregnant, and that last weekend I would have spent at the most beautiful wedding for Roman's beautiful birth mother, I probably would have laughed. Discredited it, then I hate to admit, but had a bit of a pit party that we couldn't be "that family."
Not that I didn't WANT to have another baby, and the thought of giving birth to my own child (which extremely terrifying) is I think every woman's dream. Not that I didn't think that Katie was one of the most amazing woman and that some guy would finally realize it and sweep her off her feet (good job Scott! Great choice, Katie is a major catch!). But 1 year ago none of this seems even remotely possible.
You would think I would have learned over the last 9 years thath Heavenly Father's plans are always better then our own. That He does and will take care of us. He really does open a window when a door closes. He never leaves us alone.
So many blessings that I am counting one year later. And since I LOVE song Lyrics (they always say what I am thinking so much better then I do, that's why I am not a lyrisist).
Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers
Remember when you're talkin' to the man upstairs
That just because he doesn't answer doesn't mean he don't care
Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers
June 22, 2010
1 year
Posted by Wendy at 10:02 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wendy! That is just beautiful. The pains you have endured will only make the joy that much sweeter.
I am SO happy Hudson is doing so well and hanging in there!
Wendy,
I used to peek at your blog about Roman every now and again before you went private and after reading this amazing post today I just felt moved to tell you how impressed I felt every time I read about your life with Roman. You and Spencer seriously inspire me to be a better parent and I think your story is so amazing. I hope your new baby got here safe and sound and that all is well with you guys. (I know Heidi Vawdrey, that is how I saw your blog, by the way). Anyway, I just think you are an awesome mom, wife and human being and I just had to tell you that. I'd love to keep up with your family and catch up with you sometime but if you do not wish to grant me access to your blog I totally understand. My email is bradandjamienewman at gmail dot com.
Post a Comment