Today I Kissed an Angel

Today I kissed an angel
I knew it from the start
the first time my angel smiled at me
I gave away my heart

today I kissed an angel
this angel child of mine
though not of my creation
my child by God's design

today I kissed an angel
my heart is dancing wild
a family, by a miracle
blessed by this angel child

Author Unknown

June 25, 2008

One year as a mother

Friday my little man turned one. I have spent a lot of time reflecting over the past year, two years, eight years, ten years. This year has been absolutely amazing. I still have time that I look at this sweet little boy and can't believe that I am his mother.



Ten years ago Spencer and I had been dating for almost a year and he was getting ready to leave on a mission. We had our whole lives ahead of us filled with so many dreams. We didn't know where our lives would take us, but we knew that we had strong feelings for each other and that we wanted to spend our lives together.


Eight years ago (next month actually) Spencer climbed off a plane in Salt Lake, tan, smiling, and ready to conquer the world. Thankfully our love had survived those 2 years and we were able to begin our life together.

Two years ago I wondered if Heavenly Father even remembered me. We had waited so long, and had endured so much, I just needed the reassurance that he was there, he knew me, and that he hadn't forgotten about our little family.

One year ago I was living in a hotel with a newborn little boy, spending as much time as we could (when we weren't sleeping) with his Mommy Katie. I felt so much and I still feel so much that I can't explain, and don't really understand completely. Having that sweet baby in my arms was such a blessing and it was terrifying. He was completely dependant on us for everything.

Over the past year he has grown so much. He has become so much more independent than I ever imagined. He will tell me no just because he can. He goes full speed and loves being around people. He gives the best hugs and kisses anyone could ever ask for. He is smart, and funny (and he knows it).

Thinking back over the past year the day that I think was the most special, more so than placement day, finalization, his birthday, was the day that we were sealed as a family. It was the perfect day. I think of us all dressed in white at the alter. We struggled for so long to decide who to have hold Roman and we finally asked Katie if she would hold him for the sealing. It made that day so much more meaningful.


This year has been filled with so many blessings, I am thankful that Heavenly Father remembered our family. He blessed us with the sweetest boy, the most amazing mommy Katie, and loving family and friends.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hi, I'm Stephanie Worthy. I came across your blog from one of my friends blogs and I love all of your posts about adoption. My cousin recently was able to adopt a little boy and it has been the most amazing thing to be a part of. He has blessed all of our lives more than we could have ever imagined. I watched the montage you made for Katie and I love the song you chose for it, Who sings that and what is it called? I would like to make a montage for my cousin for her lil guys first birthday. If you could just email me and let me know that would be great! stephanie_reeves4@hotmail.com . Thank you so much!

The Queen said...

wow, i don't even know you but i am practically in tears over the fact that Katie was able to be there in the temple so that the spirit she brought into this world could be sealed to his family. so awesome that she was able to get her life back on track and be a part of that.