Today I Kissed an Angel

Today I kissed an angel
I knew it from the start
the first time my angel smiled at me
I gave away my heart

today I kissed an angel
this angel child of mine
though not of my creation
my child by God's design

today I kissed an angel
my heart is dancing wild
a family, by a miracle
blessed by this angel child

Author Unknown

November 13, 2009

Random acts of kindness

Today I was having a kind of feel sorry for myself for no real reason, kind of short tempered, don't really want to face anything kind of day. I took my sister and her girls to the airport then went to Spencer's office so Roman could see Daddy for a few minutes. He loves going to Daddy's office, and we hadn't been since Halloween. So we were there for a few minutes then we decided to stop for breakfast on our way home. Never mind that it was already 11:00 am.

We got to IHOP and I was still in a bit of a nasty mood. We were seated and Roman didn't want to sit still, he was all over the booth, in and out of his booster, I finally brought him to sit by me so I could keep him from falling on his head.

A few minutes after we were seated a group of high school kids came in and I was praying "Please don't put them by us, please don't put them by us." I could tell they were loud, and just high school students. They brought them to the table right by us. I tried to ignore them, but couldn't. They told the waitress about 5 times it was their friends birthday...and without trying their energy started to rub off on me. They were so excited, EVERYTHING was exciting. I overheard the following conversation "The first thing my one friend told me is, you can watch R rated movies now. I looked at him and said 'Like I need one more temptation.'" Not that R rated movies are horrible, but I gained a lot of respect for this 17 year old girl in that one sentence.

I decided at that moment that I wanted to buy her meal as a "Happy Birthday." Even though I didn't know her, or know really anything about her. I kept talking myself in and out of it as I waited for our waitress to return to our table with our check. She finally came and in a low voice I asked if I could pay for the birthday girls meal. The waitress was so sweet, she said "I know she probably won't get a chance to say this, so Thank you..." I almost started to cry. I don't know why, but it meant so much to me to be able to do this for her.

The waitress brought the check back with the additional meal on it, and we went and paid and were on our way. My heart was so full, again I was almost in tears just hoping that it would make her day a little more special. I was out fastening Roman in the car and this girl came out and said "was it you who bought my meal?" I didn't really know what to say, I had planned to be gone before she found out...I stumbled through a "Yes, I hope you have a very happy birthday." She gave me a hug and said "You just made my birthday so much better, thank you so much." I again told her Happy Birthday, got in the car, and smiled. That was just what I needed.

I came home and snuggled with my baby (he may be 2 but he's still my baby). As I type he is snoring softly in my lap. I haven't typed with him sleeping in my lap in a long time. I am so incredibly blessed.

3 comments:

Katie BQ said...

That was an awesome, uplifting, wonderful post. What an amazing thing to do something nice for someone to brighten up your day. I hope I get a chance to do the same today!

Kirsten and Brandon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kirsten and Brandon said...

That is such an awesome story. Just what I needed to hear today. Thanks for sharing. Sorry I accidently deleted my other comment.