Today Roman and I were able to go to the High School that Spencer and I graduated from to do some presentations representing the Utah Adoption Council. We were only supposed to present for a morning class, and I was so nervous to go, what if I didn't say the right things? What if our message wasn't received well? What if I draw a blank? And most importantly, what if I am not able to make a different at all? I can't say that I made a difference, but I know that I said the things that I needed to say. I prayed on my way that even if I would be able to say the right things, and that I would be able to present the message that these students needed to hear. They have a birthmother present as well, so she can tell her side of the story. The birthmother, Myra, was amazing. She had such a great story to share, and it really helped me to settle into what I needed to say.
As we were almost finished the teacher asked Myra and I if we could stay for a few minutes to talk to a student that she had that was newly pregnant and hasn't decided what to do yet, she hadn't even told her parents yet. I was more than happy to talk to her. Myra agreed. We spent 30-45 minutes talking to her and her friend (who was also pregnant) about adoption. She had a lot of questions, and it was calming for her to hear answers in a less threatening envirnment. Myra talked to her about talking to her parents, going to birthmother group, and nfinding support. After these girls left Myra said "She doesn't want to be a mom, she is scared and her mom did it and her grandma did it so she feels trapped." Myra offered to go to group with her (and her friend) at the local agency and I hope that she takes her up on it. It felt so good to know that we had touched someone.
As I mentioned I had only planned to do the morning presentation. I was about 30 minutes away when Myra sent me a text message that the afternoon presenter had not come and she didn't have any information. So Roman and I ran back out to the car, and went back for a second session. I was there with only 45 minutes remaining. I was out of breath and not prepared but again said a prayer and calmed right into it. Myra helped with Roman because he was going with no nap which is bad news. Thankfully he was an angel until we were on our way home. About half way through the presentation, I realized there was an obviously pregnant girl sitting in the front row who was taking notes on what we were saying. I found myself addressing a lot of what I said directly to her. She was making eye contact most of the time, and I could tell that she was obviously interested. I had hoped that she would stop and talk to us after class, but was one of the first to leave. The second presentation was so great, there were so many questions, they were a great class.
I had planned to show a montage that we made for Katie at the end of our presentation, but it wouldn't work the first time. I really think it was because it wasn't right. I was able to show it in the afternoon and I have been meaning to post it here for a while. Anyway, here is our video for Katie!
For some reason the montage would not work here, so I have put a very small version of it in the side bar! Hope you can see it.
March 12, 2008
Adoption Advocacy
Posted by Wendy at 4:54 PM
Labels: Adoption Advocacy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Wow that is intense. I get nervous when I do presentations sometimes that there are going to be girls there that are pregnant.I am sure there are that do not make themselves as known. I am grateful they can hear another option as opposed to feeling "stuck". I hope the spirit touches them and that their families can be touched to see that this is better instead of being caught up in their end of "loosing" a family member. If one is touched a places that is many lives changed. It is so hard to have the fire inside and want people to feel the same way. Unless the ground or the heart is prepared to receive then whatever is being shared will not be accpeted. That is hard for me to remember at times especially since I know what these young girls are headed for. Thank you for sharing
Wow sounds like you did alot of good in this world today ;) Seriously Wendy I just have to say thank you for all your advice and help on adoption. You have been such a great influence on me. By the way...I can't see that video for Katie that you posted.
thanks for doing these! aren't they incredible??? welcome back to the team! obviously we need you!
beautiful video. I loved it. Seriously, your family story is my favorite story of all time. He's so adorable, and you making such a cute family.
Again, congrats.
p.s. i sent the teacher at this high school a package with pass along cards of friends who are finding and of the agency. thanks for your great work!
You don't know me...but I found you through Mrs. R...your video was so touching to me. We are just beginning our adoption process and have a hard time trying to understand how an open adoption will work. From the video of your experience, it appears that you have an open adoption...how did you come to do that conclusion, and how does it feel having the birthmom around? These questions may seem weird, but I am just trying to collect all the information and try to get the feeling for what we desire most in our lives...thanks
I have watched your video you have made for Katie about 10 times now and each time I SOB SOB SOB! I love it. You are an amazing couple. It is couples like you and couples like Callis Mom and Dad that make healing so much easier. Elisa just called me tonight and they are scheduling their sealing which I will be attending also. I love that Katie was able to go. She is absolutely beautiful. What an amazing birth mom. I don't know if she would mind me emailing her sometime. It would be great to be in contact with another birth mom that is open and was able to attend and is as involved as she is. Thank you in adavance. carlzbad79@hotmail.com
Post a Comment