Today I Kissed an Angel

Today I kissed an angel
I knew it from the start
the first time my angel smiled at me
I gave away my heart

today I kissed an angel
this angel child of mine
though not of my creation
my child by God's design

today I kissed an angel
my heart is dancing wild
a family, by a miracle
blessed by this angel child

Author Unknown

August 6, 2009

Thankful Thursday

Today I am thankful for adoption. This past weekend was the National FSA (Families Supporting Adoption) conference. I have not been looking forward to it the entire time. In fact I finally registered so late that I bought RIGHT before ticket sales closed. Literally days before the conference began.

I am so thankful that because of the blessings of adoption I am able to be a mother, something I wondered if I would ever become. As we started the adoption process they said that we would gain a testimony of adoption. I thought that sounded so strange, but I have truly gained a testimony of adoption. I know that Roman was supposed to be a part of our family. We were just extra blessed because we gained more than just a child. We were blessed with an amazing birthmother as well.

Not only have we been blessed by having Roman enter our home, but we have been blessed by the failed adoptions too. I know that may sound even more kooky than the testimony of adoption but it's true. I don't think ever allowing your heart to open up and love another human being is ever bad for you. Sure it opens your heart up for hurt at times, but it also helps it to grow. Our hearts truly have grown through this process.

I have seen the blessings that adoption has brought to so many families. Families that are now eternal families. I have seen how adoption has not only blessed our family, but it has changed me in a real and profound way. I have learned that I have to think of others before myself, not just because I have a child, but because I realized that during those last few weeks before Roman was born we really learned that we had to love Katie, before ourselves, before Roman, before anything else, Katie was the most important person (She is still right up there!). If we hadn't realized that, I don't know if we would have the relationship with Katie that we have.

I am so thankful that we have an open adoption. We had the opportunity to have Katie stay with us for the weekend to go to the conference also. What an incredible blessing. It opened my eyes to hear all the stories and experiences. I realized that every single adoption is different, every experience is different but there is strength in numbers. Just to have the opportunity to talk to other birthmothers, to hear their testimonies was amazing. To hear birthfathers talk about their love for their children was inspiring. And to hear about these families that have gone out and opened the community and the worlds eyes to adoption. I hope they are able to continue to put adoption in a positive light.

Adoption is amazing, it really is about love!

0 comments: