I’m Katie, Roman’s birth mother. This is my story.
Because one of my purposes in sharing my story is to reach out, inspire, and comfort other birthmoms and potential birthmoms, I want to start with a message to you: The road to adoption is one that begins with fear, heartache, maybe even despair. It seems an impossible road when you’re at the very beginning. But if you could only see the end from the beginning- you would not walk down that road, you would run as fast as you can. But the nature of the experience is that you must take one small step at a time. Along the way you will have angels by your side- some seen, some unseen. But you will not walk that road alone. I can promise you that.
I felt very alone in the beginning. It was hard for me to accept and grasp that I was really pregnant. It was definitely not part of my plans. I thought I had been pretty clever in hiding my many spiritual struggles and failures from my family. Now there would be no hiding it. I resolved to keep it to myself as long as I could and along the way I would figure out how to break such unhappy news to them. Until then I would deal with everything else.
How did I make the initial decision? I knew what all the options were. I never considered marriage. It wasn’t right for me at all. I didn’t even want Alex to go through this with me. I wanted to do it all myself. The big ‘A’ word….I have to be completely honest. It was a temptation. It was never even a remotely serious consideration, but a temptation whispered in my ear many times. An unwelcome pregnancy is the ultimate test of who you fear more, man or God. I prayed that I would just lose the pregnancy and that it would all be over. It’s hard to even take yourself seriously praying something like that- ‘I know I got myself into this, but please do I really have to go all the way through it? Can the scare just be enough?’ I knew how disingenuous I was being even as I was saying the words. What I didn’t know then was that a very wise and loving Heavenly Father, who can see the end from the beginning, knew how very badly I needed to go through this experience. Not just for Roman, or for Wendy, or anyone else- but for me. So it wasn’t out of anger or retribution that my feeble prayer wasn’t granted, it was out of a deeply profound love. In His wisdom he did not take away the trial.
All other options were unimaginable for me. I had always thought that adoption was the best solution to an unwed pregnancy. I’d argued that many times before in a general sense, never really thinking I would have to make that decision in my own personal life. So before I even needed to make the decision, in a way I had already made it. Since I had already studied it out in my mind, I knew what the right choice would be for me.
It helped that my feelings for Alex had completely turned even before I knew I was pregnant. I consider this to be a blessing, because it kept me from even being tempted to single-parent. That choice might be right for some people but it wasn’t for me in my particular circumstances. And when I even imagined “sharing” my child with a person I had very little respect for, someone I did not trust to raise my child with the same environment and values as I would, I was only thankful that I had another option. I knew that the only chance of giving my child everything he deserved was to find a family who could provide the most important things in life. I wanted him to grow up in a family, with two parents who love each other and are fully committed to each other. I wanted him to have a worthy priesthood holder in his home, to guide and protect him. I wanted him to grow up in the covenant, sealed in an eternal family. Adoption was the only way. And when I thought about adoption, I felt a peaceful excitement.
I might not have been very good at making the right decisions for myself, but I found that the love and concern I had for this tiny spirit I had never even met was empowering me to make the best possible decisions on his behalf. And that was not only to his benefit, but the beginning of my own personal spiritual transformation.

10 comments:
I am a lurker to your blog but was so touched by this post that I had to leave comment. I also have an adopted little boy and this amazing post by Katie complete drew me in and brought me to tears because it made me think of our sons amazing birth mother. Katie sounds like such an amazing person who has grown so much from her experiences. Katie, I don't even know you, but I just have to tell you that I love you. You are so strong and so full of faith. Thank you for having the courage to share your story. I'm certain it will help many out there who are facing similar experiences.
Katie I just love you!
What a beautiful post! I too am in tears. It's just amazing how adoption works, without it I wouldn't be able to have a family of my own. Thank you!
Thank you Katie for sharing your story. Both of our children are adopted and it is an amazing experience. I have so much respect for birth mothers and their courage! Adoption really is a wonderful blessing, without it we would not be parents.
Katie, I just have to tell you that I think you are an amazing person. Even though I've never met you, I love and admire you. You have great inner strength and courage! I adopted my oldest son and still marvel at the great love birth mothers have for their children. I think you are so amazing that you are selfless enough to do the very best thing for Roman! What a tremendous gift you've given him! You are such a great example to so many people! Thank you!
What an amazing start to Romans's story. You are both such strong women. It was no accident that you found one another!
Katie - we have never met, but I am a good friend of Liz. I admire and love you so much. We have adopted and do not have contact with our BM's, but I truely feel there is no higher calling than being a BM and helping Hevenly Father create an eternal family. Thank you for sharing your story. We are now matched with a BM who is an answer to our prayers. :)
I've been following Katie's story since BBC too. You are an inspiration to the young women who maybe in your shoes-now or one day down the road. Thank you for sharing your story & being an example.
How beautiful!
Ever since my younger sister placed her beautiful baby girl to a loving family I have had very strong positive emotions with adoption.
May God continue to bless you.
Roman will always know of your love for him.
Um all I have to say is, you took the words RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH! This is exactly how I felt Katie. The temptation was always wispered as the advesary knew the powerful outcome from a choice I would be making but the only be I ever felt was when I firmly planted it with placing my daughter for adoption. Oh how true it is that if I knew now back at the begining at the journey, I would have ran as fast as I could have to the finish line. Just wouldn't have the same effect though. I wouldn't have absorbed what I have. I still would have wanted to ran to the finish for the peace that I have and the joy that my life has eternally been filled with. I would never recommend going down the road that I have but for me it has been one of the most paramount experiences of my life that I cherrish and thank my Heavenly Father for each day. Thank you Katie for sharing. Love these words as they hit me to my core. Adoption cannot be put into words, at least the journey and the emtions. When the Gospel is involved it is out of this world. So true that Heavenly Father knows us better then we know ourselves.
So thankful for all involved that adoption has come so far as to have the openess that it does. When I read posts like this, it stops me in my tracks and helps me to realize how honored I am to be connected with those whom have the title of a Birth Mother.
Post a Comment