Today I Kissed an Angel

Today I kissed an angel
I knew it from the start
the first time my angel smiled at me
I gave away my heart

today I kissed an angel
this angel child of mine
though not of my creation
my child by God's design

today I kissed an angel
my heart is dancing wild
a family, by a miracle
blessed by this angel child

Author Unknown

November 2, 2008

National Adoption Month - Types of adoption

November is National Adoption Month! I have to admit I am very excited about it. I know I am not the best blogger when it comes to this blog, but I am going to try to keep this blog going on a more regular basis this month.

I thought I would start by talking about different types of adoption. Adoptions have changed so much even in the past 10 years. There are three basic types of domestic adoptions. International adoptions vary by country.

I found the information that I am posting on www.adoptions.com and thought it was a good summary of types of adoptions and providing additional information.

Closed Adoptions: This is the most traditional type of adoption that is still used today, but is rapidly declining in popularity as the focus in the relationships between adoptive parents and birth parents is shifting from the lack of information and total confidentiality, to shared information and privacy. In these adoptions, the birth family and the adoptive family do not share any identifying information about themselves, and do not communicate with each other, either before or after the placement of the child. The adoptive family will, however, receive non-identifying health and other background information about the child and the birth family before the placement takes place. The birth parents may also receive non-identifying information about the adoptive parents. The adoption files will be sealed after the adoption, and typically are never made available to the adopted child.

Find more information on Closed Adoptions

Semi-Open Adoptions: A form of adoption that is intentionally designed to be a combination of a more traditional closed adoption and a more progressive open adoption, with the emphasis being on the "privacy" of all parties, rather than on "confidentially." Direct communication after the adoption is more limited, in the fashion that is agreed by the parties to be beneficial for everyone. Last names, addresses, and telephone numbers are usually not exchanged, while the sharing of photographs or other information for an agreed frequency and duration is common. All communication takes place through a third party, which is usually an adoption agency, an adoption attorney or a designated intermediary.

Find more information on Semi-Open Adoptions

Open Adoption: Every adoption of this type will be different, based on the type of relationship that the birth parents and the adoptive parents have agreed to. Both identifying and non-identifying information about the adoptive parents and the birth parents is shared with each other, which can include last names, addresses, and telephone numbers. In some open adoptions, the birth parent and the adoptive family know each other and have ongoing communication about the child. If the parents on both sides agree, the adoptive parents may even be allowed to be present for the delivery of the child, thus allowing them to vicariously share in the birthing process. Neither the birth parents nor the adoptive parents are forced to participate in an open adoption if that is not what they are comfortable with. Although there is some disagreement on the subject, it is suggested that the child, and thus the adoptive parents that will be raising the child, are the primary beneficiaries of some of the most significant benefits that can result from an open adoption.

Find more information on Open Adoption

Open or Closed Adoption: Pros of Each




Confidential Adoptions (Closed)
Mediated (Semi-Open)Open Adoptions

No contact between birth and adoptive families. No identifying information is provided.

Only nonidentifying information (e.g., height, hair color, medical history, etc.) is provided through a third party (e.g., agency or attorney).

Nonidentifying contact is made (via cards, letters, pictures) through a third party (e.g., agency or attorney).

Direct interaction between birth and adoptive families. Identities are known.

Birth Parents

Provides real choice for birth parents when compared to open adoption.

Privacy.

Some feel this provides a sense of closure and ability to move on with life.

Allows for some information transfer between birth and adoptive parents (and perhaps the child).

Some privacy.

Increased ability to deal with grief and loss.

Comfort in knowing child's well-being.

Sense of control over decision-making in placement.

Potential for more fully defined role in child's life.

Potential to develop a healthy relationship with the child as he or she grows.

Less pain and guilt about the decision.

May make the decision to place for adoption easier (compared to a contested termination of parental rights trial).

Adoptive Parents

No need to physically share the child with birth parents.

No danger of birth parent interference or co-parenting.

Greater sense of control over process.

Roles may be more clearly defined than in either confidential or open options.

Increased sense of entitlement compared to confidential adoptions.

Enhanced ability to answer child's questions about his or her history.

Increased sense of having the "right" to parent and increased ability for confident parenting.

Potential for authentic relationship with the birth family.

More understanding of children's history.

Increased empathy for birth parents.

Less fear of birth parents reclaiming child because they know the parent and their wishes.

Delight of being "chosen" as a parent.

Adopted Persons

Protection from unstable or emotionally disturbed birth parents.

Only true when relationship is "shared" with the adopted child

Genetic and birth history known.

Birthparents are "real" not "fantasy."

Positive adjustment is promoted in adoptee.

Direct access to birth parents and history.

Need to search is eliminated.

Identity questions are answered (Who do I look like? Why was I placed?).

Eases feelings of abandonment.

Lessening of fantasies: birth parents are "real."

Increased circle of supportive adults.

Increased attachment to adoptive family (especially if the birth parents support the placement).

Preservation of connections (e.g., with siblings, relatives).

Lessens loyalty conflicts (according to recent research).

Exposure to racial and ethnic heritage.

Ability for evolving, dynamic, and developmentally appropriate account of the adoption.

From the National Adoption Information Clearinghouse (U.S. Department of Health & Human Services)

We have an open adoption and it has been a huge blessing to us, our son, and his birthmother. We have been able to keep in touch with her through e-mail and we have a blog that I update with pictures and fun stories about him. We have seen her so many times I've lost count, probably 7 or 8 times in 16 months. We have loved the open relationship that we have. A few months ago I did a Q&A on our open adoption post where I answered questions on how open adoption has been for us. I could (and probably should) write another with more questions and concerns people have voiced. The bottom line is that you have to do what is best for you, your family, and what is in the child's best interest (That's what adoption is all about anyway). For us Open adoption has been GREAT!

0 comments: